History of Bishop Machebeuf

TIMELINE

1942

Monsignor Harold Campbell contemplated the creation of a new Archdiocesan High School. It would be called Machebeuf High School.

1953

Monsignor Campbell secured the bulk of the land required to build the highly anticipated new high school.

1953

Additional land was purchased when it became increasingly clear that the school-age population in Denver was soaring.

1956

Official announcement of the new school came in April 1956.

1957

Official announcement of the new school came in April 1956.

1958

The first freshman class enrolled at Machebeuf High School.

1959

Archbishop Urban J. Vehr dedicated the new high school on September 27, 1959.

1985

Rename Machebeuf Catholic High School.

1987

Machebeuf’s West Campus at 18th and Pennsylvania was added.

1996

The school was renamed Bishop Machebeuf Catholic High School to clearly identify with the school’s namesake, Bishop Joseph Machebeuf.

2000

The dedication Mass of the new $8.5 million, Bishop Machebeuf High School, on the Lowry campus in Denver was held January 9, 2000. Archbishop Charles J. Chaput presided at the Mass and was joined by Father Rocco Porter, school chaplain, and Msgr. Walker Nickless, Vicar General.

2008

Machebeuf celebrated its 50th year of forming the hearts, minds, and souls of our students in the gospel of Jesus Christ and the tradition of the Catholic Church.