Monsignor Harold Campbell contemplated the creation of a new Archdiocesan High School. It would be called Machebeuf High School.
Monsignor Campbell secured the bulk of the land required to build the highly anticipated new high school.
Official announcement of the new school came in April 1956.
The first freshman class enrolled at Machebeuf High School.
Archbishop Urban J. Vehr dedicated the new high school on September 27, 1959.
Bishop Machebeuf High School was founded in 1958 and is named after the founding Bishop of the Archdiocese of Denver, Bishop Joseph Machebeuf. Last May, the high school graduated its 61st class, the Class of 2023.
Found throughout the Denver area and beyond, with successful careers in business, law, education, in numerous medical professions, graduates of the school have experienced rich traditions and a lasting legacy of community, faith, and excellence established by generations of alumni.
Renamed Machebeuf Catholic High School.
Machebeuf’s West Campus at 18th and Pennsylvania was added.
The school was renamed Bishop Machebeuf Catholic High School to clearly identify with the school’s namesake, Bishop Joseph Machebeuf.
The dedication Mass of the new $8.5-million Bishop Machebeuf High School, on the Lowry campus in Denver, was held January 9, 2000. Archbishop Charles J. Chaput presided at the Mass and was joined by Father Rocco Porter, school chaplain, and Msgr. Walker Nickless, Vicar General.
Machebeuf celebrated its 50th year of forming the hearts, minds, and souls of our students in the gospel of Jesus Christ and the tradition of the Catholic Church.